Saturday, April 26, 2014

Lights and Prayers

It's been a long time since I posted anything in this blog. I can now face my blog. Not long ago, I couldn't really face anything, but now I am back in the saddle. What happened? Right after my last post....right after Christmas....our lives became very, very difficult. Some things are just personal and non-shareable. Others I will share The biggest struggle we had was Travis lost his job...two days after Christmas. I felt panic, but Travis felt peace. He told me not to worry...he would get a job...but he felt it would take a little while, but once he got it, it would be the job that he called his career. For three and a half months there were no interviews, no call backs. It was fun having daddy home with us all the time, but super stressful as well. Every day that Travis was home was a day we had no income. We survived on my student loan, tax return, cashing out retirement, selling a bike, returning clothes bought....pretty much anything we could do to survive. In the middle of it all, I got pneumonia, Connor got double ear infections everyone got colds. (And no insurance)

Needless to say, we had a very rough start to the year. But.......we prayed....we prayed very hard. Who ever could make it to church, went to church and we prayed and prayed. I begged the Lord for solutions and help. The message I constantly received was, "In my own time and my own way. Be patient." I cried and prayed some more and waited.

One day Travis said, "I applied to the funeral people again. I keep thinking about them. I keep remembering my experiences in dealing with the people when Kim died. I feel like it's something I'd like to do. To help people." (Kim was Travis's sister that died of brain cancer in 1997)

I told him if he felt that strongly, then he needed to be more forward. Don't just fill out an online application, call them. I told him he needed to actually meet people face to face and let them see that he is more than just another applicant. He's good at conversation. He needed to talk to someone. So Travis sent an email to the local funeral home that was listed with the job opening. (The application was with the corporation) Fifteen minutes later, Travis got a phone call. He spoke to the sales manager, Renee. She scheduled an interview and asked him to fax her his resume.

A couple of days later, Travis met with Renee. After talking to him for a while she told him, "You know, looking at your resume and seeing that most of your experience was retail, I really thought you were not going to be a good fit, but I met with you as a formality and was fully prepared to tell you thanks, but no thanks. Now!....after talking to you and seeing what kind of person you are going to be my rock star!"

I actually was given the chance to say I told you so! Renee had Travis meet her boss, then he had to do three background checks, a drug test and take (and pass) the state life insurance exam. (All of which came out of our empty pockets...which we will be reimbursed soon...but it was just one more obstacle)

Eleven days ago, Travis officially started working for Dignity Memorial. His office is at the Sequim Valley Funeral Chapel. He is a Family Service Advisor. He will be selling pre-need plans to people and helping with funerals etc. He has already delivered ashes to a memorial service and sat in with grieving families planning the funerals for their loved ones. It sounds like a depressing job, but it feels right. After all of those very difficult days of worry....we now feel peace. It is a good job. He has a great boss. There is a potential for making a very good living. There is a light at the end of the tunnel...and my favorite little decorative doohickey, that says "prayer changes things" was right!

No comments: