Monday, January 16, 2012

Science Experiment #1

I got a nifty new book...
So...we are starting to do some of the experiments in the book. My plan was to take pictures of each step of some of them, and then print the pictures and let the boys organize and place them in their school notebooks. Then, I decided to also post some of them on my blog, so if I end up not getting around to having the pictures made, at least they can print the blog page for their records that we did indeed do such an experiment.
"Dehydration"....
The items required. A spud, salt, water....
Cut the spud in half...
Put water in each saucer (I promise...there's water in there). Add salt to one plate.
Write an S on the spud that goes into the salt water.
Let them sit. The book said to wait just 30 minutes and you will see a fabulous difference...NOT! We left them over night...
Here is the one that was in the salt. The water was all starchy and yucky and it was puckered at the bottom...
The water one looked pretty darn good.
Here is the difference.
I admit I was a tad disappointed in the results of this one, but it was significant enough that I could show the kids and make my point of dehydration. The kids had fun setting it all up and checking the progress.

1 comment:

John and Jamie said...

Jacob would that book.